Baby Sign Language Basics Policies
- Please choose your class carefully. You may cancel up to 24 hours before class starts– after that, there are no refunds and you own your spot for that series. This is because classes are often full and we will have turned away other families who would have paid for that spot. You can switch to another class time or day if space is available in another class.
- There are no refunds for missed classes. We have a very liberal make-up policy (below), but we can not refund tuition due to circumstances beyond our control, such as child illness, naptime changes, or your family’s travel plans.
- Your spot is only reserved once you have paid, so it’s recommended to register online in advance. If there is space available, you may pay on the first day. Just bring credit, check or cash and please do not ask to pay the following week. Our classes are almost always sold out in advance.
Drop-in/ Trial classes
- Drop-ins are allowed on a space available basis and the fee is $20 per class. There are no free trials, as this would overcrowd classes for paying students. Prospective students are welcome to schedule a drop-in during the current session (space available basis) to see if they like the class before committing to an entire series.
We are parents too, so we realize that families often miss classes due to baby challenges such as teething, fussiness, quirky nap schedules, and illness. Baby Sign Language Basics has a very generous make-up policy, allowing you to make up on another day, on a space available basis. We can’t guarantee there will always be a make-up available or that if there is, it will be the same class you missed, but we do try to be flexible. Also please realize that almost everyone misses a class or two. Parents make plans and babies laugh…
- Weekday students should try to make-up on another weekday. Saturday classes get very full, since most parents attend as couples, so we can usually only allow one make-up family per Sat. class. If you plan to make-up on a Sat. you must contact email us 24 hours before to arrange.
- If you know you will be missing a class (Dr. appointment, travel plans) please notify your instructor so that we can recommend a make-up class, either before or after your scheduled class. This gives you the best chance of making up the same class you are missing.
- If you miss class unexpectedly, and we have another class running later in the week, you can often make up the same lesson you missed. If this is not possible, you can attend two classes in one week if there is another class running for your child’s age group.
- Saturday families: If you are a working parent who can only attend on Saturdays, there is really no option to make-up, so please try to attend your scheduled class.
- When at all possible, makeups need to be done during your current session. When this is not possible, students may makeup a maximum of one class during the next session, as long as they are currently registered in that session.
- In the event that the instructor is sick or otherwise unable to attend a class, you will be notified by phone and email, so please keep your phone number up-to- date. A makeup will be scheduled for the missed class.
* Please try to make every effort to make these classes a priority and plan your schedule around them. Every week is different, so missed weeks means large amounts of missed content!
- Please avoid bringing your own toys to class (they get mixed with ours and you might lose them!)
- When your child has mouthed a toy, please clean it with the wipes provided before returning it to play. If it’s an absorbent toy and is still wet, please place it on the table.
- Please do not bring your child to class if either of you are sick (no fever in the past 48 hours, no green, yellow, or white runny nose, no coughing or sneezing). Clear runny nose/no fever? Come to class, but PLEASE make sure to keep nose wiped and hands sanitized. We don’t want to embarrass you, so don’t make us ask you to wipe your child’s nose. Alternately, for as runny nose not associated with illness, you may choose to bring some of your own toys and keep some distance from other children.
- Please remember that you are responsible for your child’s safety and behavior in class. Toddlers learn by testing limits, and class is a great place to start teaching these. To that end, please, do not let your child be rough with other children. Babies don’t mean to hurt each other, but they are not yet capable of understanding how things feel to others, so you need to pay attention and intervene when necessary. Even if the other baby who get’s hit doesn’t cry at the time, their parent will often call our office later to complain about your child. Believe me, you don’t want to be that parent! In addition, do not let your child climb/ play with the baby gate, throw hard toys, or hit or otherwise hurt other children. If your child is unhappy or behaving aggressively, please take him/her outside of the play area or studio for a short time– a change of scenery usually helps!: )
- While we do welcome additional family members and caregivers in the class, we ask that you please limit the number of total adults attending to 2 per week, to avoid over-crowding. Please contact your instructor if you have a special situation, and need to bring more than 2 one week.
- Family and friend referrals are always welcome. Please feel free to bring a curious friend or family member and their baby (even if the baby is still in the tummy) to class one day, so they can see what it’s all about! To avoid overcrowding in class, please contact the instructor before-hand.